Standing proudly in the dramatic setting of South Street’s high-end historical architecture Forty Winks packs a visual punch overlooking the River Wear in full view of majestic Durham cathedral and castle dominating the stunning city skyline. Perfectly placed within a short walk away from the heart of durham’s thriving labyrinth of narrow cobbled lanes and streets, where you can discover plenty to see and do and remind us that we live in a lively small university city.
Once inside you will discover a calming sanctuary to completely retreat and relax, offering eight one-of-kind top notch bedrooms and indulgent suites ranging in size from small and cosy to large scale. Where every room has been designed for our guest’s warmth and comfort in mind with a painstaking eye to detail in keeping with the era of the house, but without all the dodgy plumbing. Living testimony that is today forty winks.
The front door opens onto idyllic, peaceful and beautiful leafy walks and paths winding along the river, well worth getting out of bed for, so take time for a stroll before refuelling on a leisurely inclusive breakfast and morning papers.
Also for your convenience complimentary wifi, Nespresso coffee, Teapigs and bottled water are available in your room, along with a full range of Molton Brown products to use throughout your stay.
- We insist you refrain from smoking
- We reserve the right to ask you to leave if you are lacking in social grace
- Do not bring anyone to forty winks that you wouldn’t bring to your mother’s house for sunday lunch!
- When you have reached your limit, handle yourself with style and cut yourself off, don’t make us do it for you.
- Please speakeasy – respect our neighbourhood and fellow guests, keep your voice at a reasonable level entering, exiting and once inside.
We thank you for your understanding and help in making your stay and enjoyable memorable one with us.